Motherwort herb (Leonuri herba)
$5.00 inc. VAT
Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) is a herb in the mint family. It is native to central Eurasia, but has now spread almost worldwide and can be found even in North America.
Motherwort is one of the most sought after herbal remedies in cardiology and neurology.
Medicinal use of motherwort dates as far back as the early Greeks. They used it as a tonic for the heart, which is now reflected in the Latin cardiaca (“for the heart”) part of its name.
Another prominent use for Motherwort is to relieve tension and calm down during emotional stress. And, of course, as its common name indicates, Motherwort has long been associated with help to women. It is a useful remedy for female reproductive disorders, especially the ones that are associated with stress.
Motherwort herb contains flavonoids, alkaloids, glycosides, tannins, essential oil, C and A vitamins, nitrogenous bases and other biologically active substances.
Motherwort exhibits the following effects:
- Hypotensive: normalizes blood pressure;
- Cardiotonic: slows the heart rate and stimulates heart contractions;
- Vasodilating and antispasmodic: relieves spasms of cerebral vessels improving cerebral blood circulation and relieves menstrual cramps;
- Sedative: reduсes anxiety and improves stress-resistance and sleep;
- Bactericidal, expectorant and anti-inflammatory: aids with respiratory system disorders;
- Diuretic, diaphoretic and antipyretic: removes intoxication and helps break the fever.
Storage and Handling
Store Motherwort herb in the original package, at a temperature not higher than 25 ° C; store the boiled infusion in a cool place for no more than 2 days.
Keep out of the reach of children!
Shelf life is 3 years. Do not use after the expiration date.
Manufacturer Contact Details
JSC “Krasnogorskleksredstva” Moscow, Russia.
Main Uses of Motherwort
- Central nervous system disorders: insomnia, neurosis, increased anxiety, panic attacks, headaches and neuralgic pains;
- Cardiovascular system disorders: complex therapy of hypertension,angina pectoris, myocarditis, cardioneurosis, heart failure, shortness of breath, cerebral vascular sclerosis and atherosclerosis.
- Urinary system disorders: complex therapy of cystitis and edema associated with renal and heart failure.
- Digestive system disorders: bloating, spasms, stomach and intestine spasms and colics;
- Respiratory system disorders: complex therapy of bronchitis, bronchial asthma, pneumonia, SARS and the flu;
- Women reproductive system disorders: painful and delayed menstruation, menstrual cramps.
- Hypersensitivity to Motherwort or any of its components;
- Bleeding disorders;
- People planning to undergo surgery (avoid taking it within two weeks of your procedure).
It is not recommended to use this herb along with other sedatives, sleeping pills or blood-thinners.
Children under 12 years old, pregnant or lactating women are allowed to use Motherwort only after consulting a doctor.
- Possible allergic reactions (rare);
- Altered heart rate and rhythm;
- Low blood pressure;
- Overdose and prolonged use may lead to: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, body aches, diarrhea and intense thirst. In this case, consult a doctor immediately.
Motherwort interacts with and enhances the effects of the following medications:
- Sleeping pills and other drugs that inhibit the central nervous system;
- Blood-thinners, e.g. warfarin;
- Cardiac glycosides, e.g. digoxin.
Motherwort can be combined with other cardiac and sedative drugs, but only under the supervision of a specialist so that to prevent overdose.
Prolonged use of this drug in large doses may cause a decrease in psychomotor reactions — caution should be exercised while driving vehicles, working with mechanisms, etc.
Before using, consult your doctor.
Dosage and Brewing Instructions
Place 2 filter bags (3.0 g) in a glass or enamel bowl, pour 100 ml (½cup)of boiling water over the bags, cover and let steep for 15 minutes, periodically pressing the bags with a spoon, then squeeze the liquid out of them.
Drink 100 ml (½cup) three times a day 1 hour before meals.
Shake the infusion up beforehand.
There are no reviews yet.